Sunday, October 17, 2010

Holy Ordinations Batman!

Fortunately for my own sake, but for most of you unfortunately, my sense of humor has not changed as seen in the title of this post.  One of the greatest sources of humility since arriving here in Rome has been the fact that people from other parts of the country (and the world) don't get my sense of humor(or maybe they just don't like it).  At least if y'all don't like my jokes back home you at least give the impression that you think I am funny, but here, not even a courtesy laugh, just strange looks.  O well, I am still entertained by my jokes, so they will keep coming!

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to post is to tell you about the diaconate ordinations yesterday in St. Peter's.  3 "words": O MY GOODNESS!  They were amazing.  I was in the choir so my seat provided limited viewing of the actual ceremony, but this was a very moving experience.  First of all, experiencing 30 men being ordained at one time was truly inspiring.  In a time where we constantly hear of a lack of vocations and shortages of priests in dioceses, this was an awesome opportunity to see God still very much at work in the hearts of His faithful.  It was great being with the deacons in the days leading up to their ordination, to witness their preparation and to see them ready themselves to say yes to God's call for them in an official and concrete way.

The stage upon which all of this took place definitely helped to make this a memorable and mind blowing experience.  We went into St. Peter's through a side entrance and as soon as I was able to see the sanctuary underneath the Chair of St. Peter, I was reminded of St. Therese of Lisieux's presence as there were beautiful white roses in several places throughout the sanctuary.  The basilica seemed even more beautiful that day, brightened both by extra lights they turned on for the big event, and by the light of Christ shining through the sacraments to be administered.  As I gazed up to the pilgrims that were touring the basilica that morning and looking down to the ceremony from the dome I could only wonder at what they were thinking.  What a view it must have been to be up there seeing 30 men lying prostrate symbolizing humility and their laying down their lives for Christ.  And, lest we forget, this is all happening so near to the tomb of St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, many other saints buried in St. Peter's, and the successor of St. Peter, Pope Benedict, who was most likely somewhere in the Vatican at this time.  Needless to say, this was a great way to end the introductory/orientation time in Rome the week before we started classes.

I told some of the priest on formation here, that the ordination made me want to go and do an extra holy hour to make sure that I am in that position in three years.  Please continue to pray for me, that I will continue to follow the Lord's call for me and know of my prayers for all of you.

In Christ,
Patrick

1 comment:

  1. Dear Patty,

    I promise to always, always laugh at your jokes - even when we get old and you tell the same jokes in your homilies over and over again!

    Love,
    Em

    ReplyDelete