Friday, August 16, 2013

That's My Home

     The refrain of Billy Joel's song You're My Home says "Whenever we're together that's my home."  After a typical Italian expierience of going out into the city to recharge my cell phone, only to find that the store was closed, I slipped into one of my favorite churches in the city, the Basilica of St. Andrew.  I walked in and as I was going to the side altar where the Blessed Sacrament is reposed, I noticed all of the people taking in the beauty of the church.  This particular basilica has beautiful paintings of the martyrdom of St. Andrew along with many other treasures.
     As I walked past these people captivated by the beauty of the church, I began to wonder if I was becoming calloused to beautiful churches after having been in Rome for 3 years.  Though this may be a small factor in my experience, I think something deeper was at work.  The beautiful art, the precious materials, they are all meant to lead us to God.  I have had many experience when a painting or a sculpture or the vast quantities of precious materials in a church have led me to prayer.  But in this particular moment, I didn't need them, I already knew what the real treasure was, or should I say, Who the real treasure was and where I could find Him.  No matter where in the world I find myself, no matter what is wrong, when I step into a church and kneel before the tabernacle which houses our Savior, I feel at home.  So Billy Joel was right, whenever were together, that's my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment