Saturday, April 28, 2012

11th Hour Graces

Christ is risen.
He is truly risen.

I heard this phrase (11th hour graces) used towards the end of Lent, especially when the leader of the "7 Church Pilgrimage" mentioned in a previous entry was trying to encourage people to go on that walk.  It means that we should stay focused and open to what God wants to do in our lives up to the end of particular events.  For instance, in Holy Week we can be tempted to relax since Lent has been so long and Easter is so close.  However, maybe entering deeper into the Sacred Triduum will allow us to receive graces that Lent has been leading us to for the last 6 weeks and if we don't pay attention to God's moving we might miss their full impact on our lives.  This can also be applied to retreats...especially silent retreats when we are so tempted to talk as they draw to a close.  Anyway, I think you get the picture.

As I prepare to return home for the first time in nearly two years I am getting a bit antsy.  At first, I tried to fight this tendency (somewhat unknowingly) by telling people that home wasn't the ONLY thing I could think about, but I'm sure that day would come.  After about two weeks of saying this, I realized that I was pretty much thinking of home all the time.  Praise God for helping me to realize this and giving me the grace to ask to finish my time here strong.  It would be very easy to do the bare minimum to get by and get home in June, but that would not be a good way to stay open to the 11th hour graces he wants to shower down upon me.  I have been praying for the grace to not just get through my last days of the semester, but to really be open to what He is trying to do in this time.

One thing I have noticed already is the connection I have to everyone back home, family, friends and all those in the great Diocese of Lafayette.  When I first arrived, I remember feeling so close to home, though I was so far away.  At the end of two amazing years it seems that this realization is coming full circle.  As my return approaches, God has reminded me of how much I love home and how much all of you love me.  This love that so many have for me was recently realized in a greater way when all of you were so concerned for my dad (who is doing great by the way) and for me.  Your prayers for him and my family got us through and truly humbled me.  My desire to go home is not because I am tired of being in Rome, The Eternal City, but because there is so much love and goodness waiting for me in South Louisiana!  Being away has made me realize how truly blessed I am and I can't wait to return to the love and support that has helped me through nearly 4 years of seminary formation (only 2 left to go!).


Please pray that I can remain focused on my studies and prayer life so that I can receive all that God has in store for me these last 40 + days.  I can't wait to see all of you O so soon!

In Our Risen Lord,
Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment