Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Giving Thanks on Thanksgiving

So obviously, my post is a little late for the title, but the blog was inspired on Thanksgiving day, so there you go. I heard from pretty much all of the priests who have studied here in Rome along with the older guys who are still here that the first holiday season away from home is the toughest.  I am sure that will be the case.  However, so far it has been a good kind of hard.

First off, Thanksgiving weekend here is crazy busy.  We had Thanksgiving on Thursday (obviously) which included each hall getting together for a breakfast, then mass at noon, followed by a huge Thanksgiving day meal, but that was just the beginning.  We also had our New Man class dinner on Friday night, followed by the "New Man" and "Old Man" shows Saturday night, then to finish it all up, the "New Men vs. Old Men" football game known as the "Spaghetti Bowl".  All of these activities helped to once again make the new men feel like we were at our home away from home with our new family for the next 4 to 5 years.  Although these activities were wonderful, fun and comforting, I still had plenty of time to miss my family and friends and reflect a bit.

It is amazing that it has taken being thousands of miles away from home to realize just how blessed I am.  On Thanksgiving my mom's whole side goes to one of her sister's house (the same sister every year).  We get there mid to late morning, visit for a while, the men watch football, the women talk, the men turn the T.V. louder, the women talk louder, then we eat.  This is usually followed by napping and more eating.  It is such a simple tradition, but it is great.  The family is all there simply enjoying time together.  It was particularly difficult being away since this is the first major holiday since my grandfather passed away in February.  I was able to see how it is because of his strong faith and focus on the family that my family still gathers frequently, not just for big holidays, but every Sunday at least a handful of people go to my grandma's for lunch.  It was absolutely amazing that I was reflecting on all of this just before mass because I know through faith that once that mass started and most especially during the Liturgy of the Eucharist, I was intimately united to my grandparents that have passed away, my family and friends back home and all of the members of the Church past and present...how awesome!

Only a few days after Thanksgiving, I had another occasion for great joy as my parents celebrated their 35th Wedding Anniversary.  What a great example they have been to me throughout my life and in particular during my time in the seminary.  They have done nothing but support me from the moment that I told them I had decided to apply and for that I am forever grateful.

So, even though I am far from Louisiana, I have much to be thankful for as we approach the celebration of the Birth of Christ.  I am thankful for my family, especially for my parents and grandparents and for the gift of faith that I have received from them.  I am thankful for my friends.  I am thankful for all of those back in the diocese that continue to sustain me with their prayers and support.  I am thankful for this opportunity to study in the Eternal City and for God's call for me to follow His Son.

Happy Feast of St. Andrew!

Main altar in the Basilica of St. Andrew in Rome.

In Christ,
Patrick

P.S. - I am also thankful for a package I received yesterday which had 4 pounds of Community Coffee and gumbo and red beans and rice supplies amongst other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment